Somehow, my house has become the traditional Thanksgiving venue. This isn’t really a problem… I’d consider it more of a culinary challenge. This year the guest list consists of 21 people, which means preparing a 30 pound turkey. Yes, it is true. Turkey do come in 30 pound sizes. Who really knew?
I’ve spent a lot of time in the last few weeks pondering the ways that this whole meal can be simplified. Of course, I do that every year, and in the end it always feels like the house has been hit by an atomic bomb. Still, there’s always hope that it will be more organized.
I’ll be chronicling along the way, but here’s the menu so far:
- 30 pound fresh turkey
- 15 pounds of mashed potatoes
- Italian Sausage and Wild Rice Dressing
- Cauliflower and Broccoli in Cheese Sauce
- Corn Casserole (brought by a guest)
- Green Bean Casserole (brought by a guest)
- Okra (brought by a guest)
- Black-eyed Peas (brought by a guest)
- Pumpkin Pie
- Assorted Pies (brought by a guest).
That doesn’t look so tough, does it? Ha! Let the chaos begin!